Health Services in IrelandThe HSE provides health and social services to everyone living in Ireland. HSE services are delivered to young and old, in hospitals, health facilities and in communities across the country. Click here to the full range of services available through the HSE
Your Guide to Medical CardsAm I eligible |How to apply | Assessment Process | Reviews and Appeals | Questions and Answers | Contact Us A Medical Card is a plastic card, about the size of a credit card, issued by the HSE. People who hold a Medical Card are entitled to a range of Health Services free of charge. What Health Services are available Free of Charge if I have a Medical Card? You are entitled to the following services if you have a Medical Card:
- Doctor Visits – a range of family doctor or GP services from a chosen doctor contracted to the HSE in your local area;
- Prescription Medicines: The supply of prescribed approved medicines, aids and appliances like wheelchairs, crutches etc. In some circumstances a deposit may be required for aids and appliances which will be refunded on return of the aid or appliance. A €2.50 charge applies to all prescription medicines dispensed to medical card patients;
- Certain Dental, Ophthalmic (Eye), and Aural (Ear) health services;
- Hospital Care – all in-patient services in public wards in public hospitals, including public consultant services;
- Hospital Visits – All out-patient services in public hospitals, including public consultant services;
- Medical & Midwifery Care for Mothers, including health care related to pregnancy and the care of the child for six weeks after birth;
- Some personal and social care services, for example, public health nursing, social work services and other community care services based on client need.
- No need to pay the health portion of your social insurance (PRSI);
- Free transport to school for children who live 3 miles or more from the nearest school;
- Exemption from state examination fees in public second-level schools;
- Financial help with buying school books. The benefits above are available from the relevant government department.